Hikianalia Update by Hye Jung Kim
Aug 25 | AM Update
We had another good night and early morning. Our 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. – 6 a.m. watches held ʻĀkau heading over water and our 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. watch held Nā Leo Koʻolau for their watch.
At the beginning of the 6 p.m – 10 p.m watch, apprentice navigators Tamiko, Kalani, and I did a latitude check with Kamaka (Shaula) and Kapoho (Sargas). Kamaka is at declination 37 degrees, which means that the distance from Kamaka to the south pole is 90-37 = 53 degrees. Since we measured 17 degrees above the horizon, 53-17=36 degrees! Similar reasoning applies to measuring Kapoho at 11 degrees. Kapoho is at 43 degrees declination, which means 90-43=47 degrees above the south celestial pole. So since we measured 11 degrees, 47 – 11 = 36 degrees in latitude!
So after our night watches, we now are at a little over 37 degrees in latitude and are about 120 nautical miles due east of our reference course.
Remember you can always follow our progress in real-time on the live tracking map .
Aug 25 | PM Update
Today we caught a mahi at 9am and then another one in the afternoon.
During our 6 a.m. -10 a.m. watch, we used sunrise and altitude to check our headings. Two squalls came through and it was hard to see the sun in dark clouds. When the sun was too high, then the swells were used to check heading. We changed our head sail to jib #21 during the heavy winds. We held Nāleo Koʻolau over water during this watch and averaged 7 knots.
For our 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. watch, we held ʻĀkau course over water for their 4 hours at an average of 7 knots. We followed the wind, swells, and tried not to pass Haka because we have so much easting. The weather was nice and sunny for our watch.
For our 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. watch, we held Na Leo Koʻolau and with the leeway, we were heading Haka Koʻolau. So we gained a little bit of easting during the four hours. We used the swells until the sun was low enough for us to use to set heading. We averaged 7 knots of speed consistently throughout the day and made big progress north.
The temperature is continuing to drop as the crew puts on more and more layers. We had about half of the crew members were brave to shower today and the rest of us are waiting for sunnier days.
We’ve got new gear in the PVS Store!
[tw_button link=”https://hokulea.myshopify.com/” size=”large” rounded=”false” style=”flat” hover=”default” color=”#008fd1″ target=”_blank”]Shop Hōkūleʻa Gear Now![/tw_button]