- This event has passed.
O Ke Kai Series & Free Concert by Mike Kaawa
June 20, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Celebrate Hawaiʻi’s great voyaging canoes. Join the Friends of Hōkūleʻa and Hawaiʻiloa as they perpetuate the legacy of canoe building and restoration. Take part in and enjoy a tribute to Herb “Kawainui” Kane, storytelling by Dr. Mel Chang, Calvin Hoe and Luana Maitland, a video viewing of Hōkūleʻa’s Worldwide Voyage, kids cultural activities, entertainment by Mike Kaawa on the Kani Ka Pila Grille stage, and a special unveiling of a new 24″ scale model of the famous Hōkūleʻa.
Saturday, June 20, 2015 – 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Herb “Kawainui” Kane Birthday Tribute – E Ola Kawainui Library in the Hotel Lobby (9 a.m.)
- Canoe Display: View canoe building tools, scale canoe models, voyaging maps and more (9 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- Storytelling: Dr. Mel Chang, story of his voyage to American Samoa aboard Hōkūleʻa (9:30 a.m.), Calvin Hoe, story of his meeting with the late Master Navigator Mau Piailug (10:30 a.m.), Luana Maitland, storybook “The Island Below the Stars” (11:30 a.m.)
- Video Viewing: Tracking video of Hōkūleʻa’s Worldwide Voyage with Dr. Mel Chang and Michi Wong
- Hōkūleʻa Model Unveiling: Master craftsman Francis Pimmel will unveil a new 24″ scale model of Hōkūleʻa – Martin & MacArthurs (10 a.m.)
- Kids Cultural Activities – Hotel Lobby (9 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- Hawaiian Entertainment by Mike Kaawa – Kani Ka Pila Grille Stage